Monday, May 26, 2008

After 22 Radiation Treatments 05262008

Monday May 26, 2008

Pictures today after 22 radiation treatments. The first one shows where the radiation field is under the arm, and the fullness in the breast. That fullness is probably lymph fluid, and after a therapy treatment with Ike it looks less full. The second picture shows no cording!!, also thanks to Ike. The armpit looks full to me, especially above the incision and towards the back.




This next picture shows the change in color under the breast, and the bottom of the square of the radiation field. Can you see the tattoo at the bottom?



These two pictures show how the breast is changing, "drawing up". Is that what they mean when they say "perky"?


Overall, the skin is holding up pretty good. It's a little prickly sometimes, especially on the nipple, and sometimes underneath the breast. The breast tissue is sore/tender in the woundbed primarily, and lets me know, but the whole thing is tender when poked at lightly. I am taking 400 mg of ibuprofen (motrin) and 1000 mg acetaminophen (tylenol) in the morning, and sometimes a couple more times throughout the day/evening for the nagging discomfort.

The breast itself feels better with a bra on. I wear a 100% cotton sports bra, 2 sizes bigger than usual, that closes in the front with 6 hooks and eyes. I only close the bottom 3, as the top is too much pressure on the breast tissue. At home, though, I've just been wearing a cotton tee shirt. Of course, I'm putting aloe vera on the radiation field, at least twice a day, if not more. It's a little itchy and prickly. I am mixing about equal parts of Fruit of The Earth 100% Aloe Vera Gel with Elta Cream. It makes a creamier base than just the aloe alone, and seems to be working well for me, so far.

I also have intermittent nausea underlying my general discomforts. I have the compazine and zofran leftover from chemo, and have used the compazine a couple of times.

I enjoy a nap, sometimes two; I usually rest for 30 minutes or so, but have slept an hour and a half once. That surprised me.

I have taken these pictures for myself, to photo-document the changes, and posted them to help ease other people's fear of this whole process. I hope it does. Let me know!! Thank you for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. This has calmed my fears. I got marked today and will start with radiation next week. I had no clue what would happen. They told me, but it is so much better when you see. Thank you for being brave enough to post this.

    Lenda from Baton Rouge, LA

    ReplyDelete